What's in a name?
Eric and I met so many, many years ago at a local high school. No, we weren’t students but teachers instead.
Li’l old me was fresh out of college, ready to conquer the world and very excited about navigating through uncharted territory. Our batch of “new teachers” stayed together as a group and I was very happy in the company of my new friends. We were a mish-mash of people and personalities but somehow it all fit quite well. We’d have lunch together or go out for coffee right after our classes.
Enter this tall, lanky and LOUD person. Sure he was funny (or at least other people thought he was funny), but for some reason my face would scrunch up whenever he would join our group. Unfortunately, he knew a lot of my friends so it was difficult to avoid having him around. But heck, I’m a nice person so I will *try* to be friendly.
So there we all were, being friendly and enjoying ourselves as a group. I’m not really sure how it started but someone got it into their head that Eric and I looked good together…and that’s where the trouble began.
For weeks they pestered and badgered me about going out with Eric “He’s not my type.” “He’s too tall.” “It would never work.” “I don’t want to get into a relationship with anybody in the workplace.” “What are you talking about?!” “NOT IN TEN THOUSAND YEARS, JONES!” was a constant reply from my end. Eric on the other hand was quiet as a mouse, not a peep from him.
It’s funny because everybody around me was pushing for us to get together. But whenever we were together, he acted like the rumors didn’t exist. I like to face things head-on and would have gladly discussed it with him (yeah…kill the issue, beat it to a pulp until it ceases to exist). We would have checking sessions, dinners, swimming practice, movies and marathon conversations. But whenever I would open my mouth to broach the topic, he would look at me in all earnestness that I couldn't bring myself to say anything.
Thankfully, I didn’t; because somehow, someway the sneaky bastard got through. And here we find ourselves, over four years after those silly, silly days, getting ready for the big day. =D
Li’l old me was fresh out of college, ready to conquer the world and very excited about navigating through uncharted territory. Our batch of “new teachers” stayed together as a group and I was very happy in the company of my new friends. We were a mish-mash of people and personalities but somehow it all fit quite well. We’d have lunch together or go out for coffee right after our classes.
Enter this tall, lanky and LOUD person. Sure he was funny (or at least other people thought he was funny), but for some reason my face would scrunch up whenever he would join our group. Unfortunately, he knew a lot of my friends so it was difficult to avoid having him around. But heck, I’m a nice person so I will *try* to be friendly.
So there we all were, being friendly and enjoying ourselves as a group. I’m not really sure how it started but someone got it into their head that Eric and I looked good together…and that’s where the trouble began.
For weeks they pestered and badgered me about going out with Eric “He’s not my type.” “He’s too tall.” “It would never work.” “I don’t want to get into a relationship with anybody in the workplace.” “What are you talking about?!” “NOT IN TEN THOUSAND YEARS, JONES!” was a constant reply from my end. Eric on the other hand was quiet as a mouse, not a peep from him.
It’s funny because everybody around me was pushing for us to get together. But whenever we were together, he acted like the rumors didn’t exist. I like to face things head-on and would have gladly discussed it with him (yeah…kill the issue, beat it to a pulp until it ceases to exist). We would have checking sessions, dinners, swimming practice, movies and marathon conversations. But whenever I would open my mouth to broach the topic, he would look at me in all earnestness that I couldn't bring myself to say anything.
Thankfully, I didn’t; because somehow, someway the sneaky bastard got through. And here we find ourselves, over four years after those silly, silly days, getting ready for the big day. =D

4 Comments:
meshy ka talaga
hehe. mga ganyang balita ay hindi pinagkakalat. =P
hehehe, got ya! =)
- sneaky bastard
sigh . . . seemingly control driven women but romantic fools at heart din pala.
- ria
Post a Comment
<< Home