Cakes by Alex Franco

It seems like one of the hot suppliers for wedding cakes is Alex Franco. Every so often somebody will ooh & ahh over his cakes – you should hear how a few are absolutely ecstatic over the fact that they were able to book his services. Now I’ve never been one to jump on the bandwagon but I like to keep an open mind about things and this little item piqued my curiosity. This is food after all and it would be an injustice not to check it out. ;P
So I get on the phone and give them a call; Alex is nocturnal by nature so it was Rosan that I first spoke to and 14 hours later her husband gave me a call. They are without a doubt, one of the nicest people you’d ever get to speak with; upfront, easy-going, generous with advice and a lot of fun to talk to! Their weddings cakes are these huge 3 to 5 layer affairs that tower over people but I got a teeny, weeny 6” Black & White. This baby is heavy for such a little cake! After peeling the wrapping paper off this intoxicating smell came at me. It took all the will power I could muster to stuff the cake in the fridge and forget about it until Eric’s arrival the next evening.
The Black & White has a chocolate bottom layer, prune butter top layer and sandwiched in the middle are mangoes in chocolate mousse. It’s not too sweet and is a nice middle ground if you’re torn between fruit and chocolate. Best served straight out of the fridge, it’s similar to the Mango Bravo from Conti’s sans the nuts.
Sorry folks, no pictures. We couldn’t wait the 3 minutes that it would take to take the camera out. We dug into it right away and finished half within 15 minutes - this after scarfing down a whole Yellow Cab pizza. Eric usually offers the last bite to me, but last night he just swiped it all away. The greedy boy didn't even pretend to be penitent about polishing it all off.

2 Comments:
Heeeeeyyyyyyyyy... sounds even better than Sookie's Dark Chocolate S'mores Wedding Cake ;-)
Yummy. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home