Sunday, July 30, 2006

Spoils of war

I'm back!

After a 15-day stay in California waiting on hand-and-foot to dear old dad, I'm home again. It was a very interesting trip to say the least. We didn't do much in the way of sight-seeing, but we did get to spend time with family and friends which was loads more fun and important to me then visiting Disneyland (that'll have to wait for Eric).

But before all that, check out the stuff I brought home!

First up are tin cans from Specialty Bottle.

Altoids anyone?
We ordered these on-line, had them shipped to Elaine who in turn had to keep her hubby from opening the box until I got there. We weren't supposed to have save-the-date cards made, but our last visit to a bridal fair brought us face-to-face with the work of Printed Matter. I have always been interested in seeing their work and what we saw at the fair just blew us away. The designs are very fresh and contemporary (think Lifestyle Network), but what got to us was the endless possibilities that were open to us. In terms of digital printing, they can do anything! Invitations, photomagnets, stickers, calendars...the only limit is your imagination. We weren't too happy with their selection of tin cans or of those that are locally availble. Thank goodness for the Internet! After a few clicks, we'd found what we needed.

Next we have some very lovely silk dupioni from the LA garment district.

Love the color!
From right to left we have: white, copper, deep brown, yellow gold and a nice mottled wrought-iron kind of gold. The LA garment district is often described as the Divisoria/Tutuban equivalent of Southern California. That's not a very accurate description. Sure you can find fabric, shoes, clothes, flowers, bric-a-bracs and so many different kinds of things but it's more like going down the fabric lane of Glorietta; the stores are side-by-side, one after the other along the street. But all the same rules apply: keep your wits about you as there are honest salespersons and creepy, sleazeball, con-artists, take time to walk around and canvass, haggling is allowed and if you buy in bulk you'll get a better price. Ahh...the universality of a capitalist economy.

Last and not the least is the heaviest of them all, the Sucgangs' wedding gift. Because of that I had to break my resolve and bring home a balikbayan box. (Nothing personal, I was just never a fan of balikbayan boxes. It's too much of a cliche but I do understand the practicality of it all.) It's an all-white Corelle dining set! Thanks you guys! We love it! Stupid me, forgot to take a picture before we ripped the wrapping off. Yes, we opened it already. Eric is moving into our little shoebox soon and will be using the dishes before the wedding. It fits right in with the serving bowls and plates that we're getting once he moves into his new place. I'll post a photos when I bring them up to Subic. They'll be joining the kitchen appliances from the Baumstarks. I see yummy things coming out of our kitchen. =)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see that you went to the garment district in LA too! so how did you find it? i hope it wasnt too hot when you went. i see that you bought your dupioni silks. i bet you got them cheap! ;) and i love your colors! cant wait to see your dresses! is the white one yours? hehehe. 4 more months!!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home